As a follow-up to our earlier communication on March 21, announcing the IRS release of the initial (2) alerts from their 2023 Dirty Dozen List, Partner Support is sharing additional alerts released to date by the IRS. Again, we encourage you to take time to read these alerts so that you are aware of the tactics being used and the associated risks to both tax professionals and your clients.
We will share the final listings from the 2023 Dirty Dozen as they are published and you can also check back 24/7 on the IRS Dirty Dozen page | Español at IRS.gov. This IRS page is also available on your Resource Center > Industry Links > IRS Resources section > Dirty Dozen.
- “The Dirty Dozen is an annual IRS list of 12 scams and schemes that put taxpayers and the tax professional community at risk of losing money, personal data and more. Some items on the list are new, and some make a return visit. While the list is not a legal document or a formal listing of agency enforcement priorities, it is intended to alert taxpayers, businesses and tax preparers about scams at large“.
Latest 2023 Dirty Dozen Alerts Released by the IRS:
Please click on the link to read the news release in it’s entirety as they contain additional details, instructions and helpful resources.
- IR-2023-65, March 31, 2023 – Watch Out for Schemes Aimed at High-income filers; Charitable Remainder Annuity Trusts, Monetized Installment Sales Carry Risk | Español
- IR-2023-63, March 30, 2023 – Watch Out for Offer in Compromise ‘Mills’ Where Promoters Claim Their Services are Needed to Settle IRS Debts | Español
- IR-2023-62, March 29, 2023 – IRS Urges Tax Pros and Other Businesses to Beware of Spearphishing; Offers Tips to Avoid Dangerous Common Scams | Español
- IR-2023-61, March 28, 2023 – Taking Tax Advice on Social Media Can Be Bad News for Taxpayers; Schemes Circulating Involving Tax Forms | Español
- IR-2023-59, March 27, 2023 – IRS Warns Individuals to Stay Clear of Shady Tax Preparers; Offers Tips on Carefully Choosing Tax Professionals | Español
- IR-2023-57, March 24, 2023 – IRS Warns of Scammers Using Fake Charities to Exploit Taxpayers | Español
- IR-2023-55, March 23, 2023 – Watch Out for Third-party Promoters of False Fuel Tax Credit Claims | Español
- IR-2023-54, March 22, 2023 – IRS Warns of Scammers Offering “Help” to Set Up an Online Account; Creates Identity Theft Risk for Honest Taxpayers | Español
Previously Shared 2023 Dirty Dozen Alerts by the IRS:
- IR-2023-49, March 20, 2023 – IRS Opens 2023 Dirty Dozen with Warning about Employee Retention Credit claims; Increased Scrutiny Follows Aggressive Promoters Making Offers Too Good To Be True | Español
- IR-2023-51, March 21, 2023 – Watch Out for Scammers Using Email and Text Messages to Try Tricking People During Tax Season | Español
Your Partner Support Team